|
[2026] ca.10:00: Weelsby Woods ca.12:00: Miller & Carter Steakhouse …Janet was going to call for a taxi, but I said, I’d do it using the Links Taxis app. I authorised the payment as I was making the booking. The app told me that the car was on its way, the driver being “Dan”; so we went outside to await it. Dan duly picked us up and took us (10:00–10:10), dropping us off within the gates, at the car park entrance. With a name like “Dan”, I expected somebody British, but he had an accent. I asked him where he was from: Romania. I guess that in any country with a Christian tradition, “Daniel” must be a common name. Whatever payment was taken initially was adjusted to £7.30 (10:11). ![]() Janet was feeling thirsty, so we went to the “Treehouse” in the Newby Centre. I had a 500ml bottle of Juice Burst orange juice (which was impossible to open without the flimsy plastic bottle collapsing to some extent and spilling contents) and Janet a 330ml can of Fanta “Fruit twist” from the fridge. I paid at the counter… (£3.90, 10:15). ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:17:58 Refreshments at “The Treehouse Café & Ices”, Weelsby Woods …We set out to walk, in a south-easterly direction near the east side of the woods. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:30:48 Weelsby Woods “When were we last here?” we wondered. I looked in Blogger on my phone (10:33–10:34), and found “John Edward Cooper’s Notes: Friday 17 November 2017”. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:36:26 Weelsby Woods ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:37:52 Weelsby Woods ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:37:52 (detail 1) Weelsby Woods ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:37:52 (detail 2) Weelsby Woods We saw a grey squirrel, but it was too distant for me to take a photo with the phone; if I’d had my camera I could have zoomed in easily. It stood on its haunches for a few moments with its raised front paws hanging downwards, before scuttling part-way up a tree, stopping for a while, turning head downwards and tail up, then turning about again and continuing to go up. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:38:39 Weelsby Woods ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:41:57 Weelsby Woods: thistledown ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:47:42 Weelsby Woods ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:49:29 Weelsby Woods We didn’t follow this path to its end; we turned right along a path leading from it. To the left was a field, with interesting blue flowers, which was separated from the path by a small but fairly steep-sided ditch. Janet seemed to remember that years ago we’d been cycling, and got into this field from a farm track, but that there was no way out other than by going back the way we’d come, unless I’d carry the bikes one by one over this ditch, to leave by way of Weelsby Woods, which is what I did at that time. But now, with my somewhat spastic gait making me unsteady on my feet, the way down seemed too difficult, so we continued along the more or less south-westward path. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:53:53 Weelsby Woods: ash tree ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:55:35 Weelsby Woods: ash tree, with ivy growing on it ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:57:25 Weelsby Woods: oak tree, with similar bark to the ash ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 10:59:48 Weelsby Woods: oak tree ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:00:30 Weelsby Woods: oak tree I noticed what looked like an easier way across the ditch, and took it, receiving a mild nettle sting in the process. The bottom of the ditch had not completely dried out, in the long succession of dry, sunny days that we’ve been having, but it was not too soft and my foot didn’t sink in. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:05:06 Weelsby Woods: chicory ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:05:06 (detail) Weelsby Woods: chicory ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:06:10 Weelsby Woods: chicory ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:07:57 Weelsby Woods: chicory Just opposite there, was an opening more or less to the north, back in the direction we’d come, across an open space (“The Witches’ Circle”, according to Google Maps), so we went that way. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:12:42 The Witches’ Circle, Weelsby Woods ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:15:37 Weelsby Woods: small blackberries ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:15:37 (detail) Weelsby Woods: small blackberries Janet picked some very tiny blackberries. Elsewhere, we found bigger ones, very sweet. I noticed some low trees, shrubs more like, with leaves like apple trees’; indeed, I thought that some very sparse fruits were tiny crab-apples, till we realised that they were damsons. I ate one, holding it in blackberry-stained thumb and forefinger. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:18:54 Weelsby Woods: damson ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:20:43 Weelsby Woods: damsons On the northward return to the entrance to Weelsby Woods I tried to “Book a Table at Miller & Carter Grimsby” (11:34–11:36), but the booking failed. Janet had gone ahead, and I couldn’t see her. I revisited the toilet to the right of the Treehouse, and when I came out I looked around for her; and there she was! I’d just booked a taxi to Miller & Carter (11:51), but when Janet asked what I was doing, and said that we’d walk, I managed to cancel it (refund completed, 12:57). She’d meant that we’d book a taxi home from Miller & Carter. So we set out to walk. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 11:49:39 Restored lions at the entrance to Weelsby Woods ![]() Miller & Carter Steakhouse Google Street View Image capture: Aug 2022 © 2026 Google We entered Miller & Carter, where a young man saw us at the reception desk, asked us whether we had a reservation, and showed us to a table. He was a bit obsequious, though he called us “guys”, a practice which we both find a bit annoying. He told us that “Clare” would be our server. We ordered drinks first, then she came back later for our food order. ![]() Saturday 1 August 2026 12:17:01 Miller & Carter Steakhouse: Aperol Spritz; 250ml glass of Argentinean Shiraz; Strawberry Twist Mocktail I chose from the “Fixed-Price Lunch Menu”—
—and went with the menu’s recommendation (“rare”). It was served with parsley butter, onion loaf, balsamic-glazed tomato and seasoned fries in a little paper-lined bucket, which I tipped out onto the plate. I’d also chosen “Rich Red Wine Sauce” from the “Choose a steak sauce for £1.95” list. I asked for vinegar for the “seasoned fries”. I always have vinegar on chips. They were rather excessively “seasoned”, too salty.
—but she was disappointed that the “croûtons” were not at all “croûtés”.
(as I say, the “croûtons" were not at all “croûtés”). She had—
She’d have had Crème Brûlée if it had consisted of a rich custard base as it ought, and hadn’t been made with white chocolate:
|
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]