John Edward Cooper’s Notes

HomeContentsAlphabetical listingWhom I’d like to meet in eternity…
 

Saturday 4 July 2026

[2026]

10:00 Trip to Louth

I shut down the computer (09:43, and got ready to go out. I had in mind for the taxi to take us to the far end of Hubbard’s Hills (“Hubbard’s Hills Free Car Park” on “Halfpenny Lane” on the Maps app); but Janet wondered whether there’d be a toilet there. “Satellite View” gave no indication of such; so we decided that we’d be dropped off at the nearer end, “Hubbard’s Hills, Crowtree Lane, Louth LN11 0QW”, where we knew there was a toilet (indeed, Maps has a “” symbol there).
 The taxi arrived (ca.10:00). I got in the front seat; Janet got in the rear. The driver had Jamaican-style dreadlocks, but his name, according to a card on the dashboard, was Hossam Osman. We’d not been going long, when I asked him where he was from, for his accent was definitely not Caribbean despite his appearance. He wasn’t black, either, but then, neither did Bob Marley, with his narrow nose, appear black to my eyes. Anyway, he answered, “Egypt”; so there followed quite a long conversation about our holiday there. He mentioned the new Grand Egyptian Museum in Cairo. We said that we’d visited the old one, and had seen the mask of Tutankhamun there. I said that I did Darth Vader impressions when I saw it. I commented that if the religion hadn’t reverted to the worship of Amun, then he would have been called Tutankhaten. We mentioned the “realism” of the art in his father’s day, that Akhenaten was chinless with an overbite.
 On the way, his daughter phoned. She was on holiday abroad somewhere, but was calling him twice a day. “Was she born in Egypt?” I asked, because they’d been speaking in Arabic. No, she was born here, but he’d insisted on using Arabic at home, though she spoke it with an English accent.
 Towards the end of the trip there was mention of Abraham, that (Hossam Osman said) the honour of firstborn son should go to Ishmael, not Isaac. Indeed, I pointed out that whereas in the Bible, God says “I am the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob”, in the Qur’an it’s “I am the God of Abraham and Ishmael.” But I countered this by saying that, when God calls Abraham to offer his son, he says, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love — Isaac…” That, I attempted to say, was because Isaac was the son God had promised. I said that when God told him to take his son the word used in the Greek translation was “monogenēs” (“I don’t know what the word is, in Hebrew”). I realise, as I write this…, that I made a mistake in saying this. For in Genesis 22:1–2, the LXX has:
…God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” And he said, “Take your beloved son Isaac, whom you love…”

In fact, it is in Hebrews, where “monogenēs” (NIV: “one and only”) is used (11:17–19), referring to this story:

By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.

 Anyway, we ran out of time then, because we arrived. We didn’t go all the way to the Hubbard’s Hills estate; he dropped us off just before the footbridge over the Lud, some 250 yards before the actual site entrance. I paid him, using the Wallet app on the phone held against a card-payment device (£38.80: the payment didn’t go through till “16:37”). Janet also handed him a cash tip. As we were getting out, I said, “Shukran!”, and he replied, “Afwan!”


Saturday 4 July 2026 10:39:35
Footbridge from Crowtree Lane across the River Lud and footpath south to Hubbard’s Hills

 We did, in fact, visit the toilets at the entrance, before setting out.


Saturday 4 July 2026 10:46:59
Notice board at the entrance to Hubbard’s Hills


Saturday 4 July 2026 10:52:24
Heading initially westwards through Hubbard’s Hills


Saturday 4 July 2026 10:55:16
Heading westwards through Hubbard’s Hills: looking back

Panning right after taking the above photo, I came to the Annie Pahud Memorial Drinking Fountain on the other side, just in the bend where the River Lud changes from north-flowing to east; but there was a woman standing in front of it, in the way of my taking a photo, and she remained there for a long time;—


Location of the Annie Pahud Memorial Drinking Fountain, relative to the “10:55:16” photo [map from “MLI98983 - Pahud Memorial, Hubbards Hills, Louth - Lincolnshire Heritage Explorer”; captions mine]

—so I gave up, and caught up with Janet.


Saturday 4 July 2026 10:56:39
Hubbard’s Hills: thistles and nettles

I saw a small (perhaps less than an inch across), very dark (perhaps indigo) butterfly flitting around.


Saturday 4 July 2026 10:58:05
Hubbard’s Hills: molehills


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:00:31
Continuing southwards through Hubbard’s Hills


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:06:54
Continuing southwards through Hubbard’s Hills


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:16:19
Hubbard’s Hills: approaching Halfpenny Lane (left)

Janet was looking at a notice board showing different species of trees occurring in the woods of Hubbard’s Hills, but it unhelpfully didn’t have pictures of their leaves. I wondered whether a tree I’d seen earlier was a “small leaved lime”, but a lookup of foliage on the phone’s browser (11:18) didn’t match what I’d seen. Janet had been doubtful of her ability to walk back along the valley-top, but she managed it with only a little occasional help bidden from me.


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:21:48
Hubbard’s Hills: left turn and steps to the valley top


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:22:40
Hubbard’s Hills: steps to the valley top and Louth Golf Club


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:25:16
Hubbard’s Hills: left turn, northwards along the valley top


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:26:02
Hubbard’s Hills: continuing along the valley top


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:32:46
Hubbard’s Hills: hornbeam


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:37:32
Hubbard’s Hills: continuing along the valley top; (right:) Louth Golf Club


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:42:20
Hubbard’s Hills: view left across the valley

It was just beyond this point, when a golf ball came over from Louth Golf Club the right, and started bouncing, bouncing down the steep slope. I think its progress into the valley was stopped by a log that was lying there. No-one came to retrieve it.


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:49:18
Hubbard’s Hills: continuing along the valley top

We came to a point where there was a path leading off the one we were on, in a U-turn to the left, and we took it.


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:52:56
Hubbard’s Hills: leaving the main path; sharp turn left to the valley bottom


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:55:39
Hubbard’s Hills: continuing to the valley bottom

The clear path seemed to disappear; but I went ahead to investigate, and found that it did, in fact, lead to the valley bottom, indeed much sooner than I expected it to. So I went back to help Janet over a rough part. It seemed unlikely to me that it would be equipped with a handrail at the start, then fenced off from a steep drop, only to disappear part-way down.


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:57:49
Hubbard’s Hills: continuing to the valley bottom


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:59:03
Hubbard’s Hills: emerging at the valley bottom


Saturday 4 July 2026 11:59:41
Hubbard’s Hills: What sort of tree is this?


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:02:14
Hubbard’s Hills: continuing to the River Lud, south side


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:02:25
Hubbard’s Hills: stepping stones across the River Lud, south to north

I’d lost my sense of direction at this point, for the river seemed to be flowing the wrong way, left to right. So the Annie Pahud Memorial Drinking Fountain was to be found by taking the path leading to the left from the footbridge in the “12:02:14” photo.


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:04:15
Hubbard’s Hills: forget-me-nots


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:07:01
Hubbard’s Hills: Annie Pahud Memorial Drinking Fountain, left (south-west) of “12:02:14”


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:07:52
Hubbard’s Hills: Annie Pahud Memorial Drinking Fountain

After visiting the Memorial, we crossed the footbridge, turned right, and headed to the exit.


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:11:25
Hubbard’s Hills: proceeding eastwards to the exit


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:14:17
Hubbard’s Hills: exit into Crowtree Lane

Janet visited the toilets again; I didn’t, but as I waited I took this photo (below):


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:19:31
Rather “nannying” yellow sign on the toilet block at the entrance to Hubbard’s Hills: “Please remember you are out in the countryside…” — duh!

Janet had looked up “Italian restaurants” on her tablet yesterday, and had decided on “Montebello Ristorante, 37 Upgate”, because she’d seen “Crème Brûlée” in the “Menu highlights”. I plotted the route from our current location to there using “” in the Maps app, and we followed the slightly longer-distance alternative that took us through Westgate Fields. I also looked up “indigo butterfly” in the browser (12:23–12:25), but couldn’t find a match.


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:28:54
Old Mill House, Crowtree Lane, boarded up


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:29:50
Entering and crossing Westgate Fields, Louth


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:37:26
Leaving Westgate Fields, Louth, to proceed ahead along Westgate;—


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:40:52
—continuing along Westgate;—


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:43:45
—bearing right along Breakneck Lane;—


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:46:11
—turning left into Gospelgate;—


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:47:30
—passing The Bede Houses,
[i] 73 Gospelgate, Louth;—

[i] A Bede House (derived from the Old English word for prayer) historically refers to an almshouse or hospital founded by a church or wealthy benefactor. In exchange for clothing, food and lodging, the residents (known as bedesmen or bedeswomen) were required to pray regularly for the souls of their benefactors. [Google “AI Mode”, derived from English Heritage Shop]


Saturday 4 July 2026 12:52:09
—turning right at the end of Gospelgate into Upgate, to arrive at our destination: Montebello Ristorante, 37 Upgate, Louth.










Saturday 4 July 2026 12:53:03
Menu, posted by the door

If “Crème Brûlée” had been her major selling point for this establishment, then my seeing “Grappa” (only £2.50) listed under “Digestivo” in the menu on the table would have been mine. In addition to the items in the photos below, Janet also had a J2O “Orange and Passion Fruit”. Not only did it not appear in the photos, it wasn’t included in the bill, Janet noticed afterwards; so if we go there again, she’ll tell them.


Saturday 4 July 2026 13:13:04
Montebello Ristorante, Louth: Aperol Spritz, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, and San Pellegrino (Melograno arancia)


Saturday 4 July 2026 13:45:19
Montebello Ristorante, Louth: Pollo alla Romano, with Salad; Porchetta, with Chips with Truffle Oil and Parmesan


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:19:12
Montebello Ristorante, Louth: Crème Brûlée, Grappa, and Caffè Americano con Latte Caldo


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:36:20
Montebello Ristorante, Louth: il conto

I paid, using the Wallet app on my phone (£61.80, “14:37”). Janet also gave the waitress a cash tip.
 I used “” in the Maps app to get us by the shortest route to St. James’ Church.



Saturday 4 July 2026 14:45:35
Heading north-west along Upgate, Louth, towards St. James’ Church


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:48:03
Turning left along the south side of St. James’ Church, Louth, from Upgate;—


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:49:35
—to enter through the porch near its far end


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:51:52
St. James’ Church, Louth: east window


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:52:25
St. James’ Church, Louth: looking west


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:53:11
St. James’ Church, Louth: font and west window


Saturday 4 July 2026 14:53:20
St. James’ Church, Louth: ceiling, seen from the same location as “14:53:11”


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:02:21
St. James’ Church, Louth: Vanilla Cake, Bakewell Tart and Hot Chocolate; KitKat and Tea

I asked the server about going up the tower, but he told me that the church would be closing at 4.00pm, and what’s more there was a clean-up needed following the breeding by Peregrine Falcons up there. After Janet and I went our separate ways to look around the church, I made a Gift-Aided cash donation. It was only after we met up again, that she pointed out the machine, similar to the ones by which I’d made payments in the churches we visited in Liverpool.


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:21:13
St. James’ Church, Louth: £20 donation, Gift Aided


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:28:25
St. James’ Church, Louth: open Bible on a table, showing Isaiah 59:19b – 62:6a


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:28:59
St. James’ Church, Louth: model of the church, on the same table


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:29:12
St. James’ Church, Louth: another model of the church, nearby


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:35:05
St. James’ Church, Louth: chancel, high altar, and east window


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:35:27
St. James’ Church, Louth: St. Stephen’s Chapel in the south-east corner


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:36:05
St. James’ Church, Louth: north-east corner


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:36:57
St. James’ Church, Louth: nave and north aisle


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:39:45
St. James’ Church, Louth: ceiling of nave

 I had the notion that there was a taxi rank in Market Place, so we headed there, rather than my finding and requesting a taxi by phone.


Saturday 4 July 2026 15:59:30
Old Market Hall, Market Place, Louth


Saturday 4 July 2026 16:00:07
Taxi Rank, Market Place, Louth


Saturday 4 July 2026 16:00:07 (detail)
Taxi Rank, Market Place, Louth: about to board this taxi

Again, I sat in the front and Janet in the rear. The driver asked us whether we’d been following the football, and when we told him we weren’t interested in it he said that he wasn’t either. On arrival at our destination, I paid using the Wallet app (£36.00, “16:31”), and Janet handed over a cash tip, before we got out and entered the house (16:33).…

[2026]



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]