John Edward Cooper’s Notes

Home Contents Alphabetical listing Whom I’d like to meet in eternity…
 

Tuesday 1 September 2026

[2026]
[Monday 31 August 2026]

Novotel, York (check-out)
09:15 G— B—
11:52 Bloods…


…I’d been lying awake or perhaps dozing; and what prompted my getting out of bed, was that I thought I heard the air-conditioning start up. It may have been the flushing of the toilet in the next room that I heard, though. Janet got out of bed (06:19). She said to me, “Good morning…!” (07:03). I went to the bathroom (07:04), then I remembered, or Janet reminded me, to turn on my phone (07:06) in case G— would need to contact us.… Shaved, showered, etc. I packed all the computer stuff in my rucksack. I didn’t attach the shoulder bag, because I wanted to take that, containing the blood form, later with me to the hospital.
 “We completely packed before going for breakfast,” Janet wrote in her holiday journal. We left the room (08:12), and went down for breakfast. I had cornflakes, then bacon, sausages and baked beans, then an americano coffee with a dash of milk. Passing reception, Janet noticed a small collection of teddy bears. “[They had] not been there before,” she wrote in her journal: “I’d have noticed.” They wanted £17 for each of them, plus £6 for the
T-shirt that each was wearing. We were in the process of stripping off the T-shirt, which had “Novotel” printed on the back, because it was a bit much, we thought, to be paying to advertise the hotel; but then we decided that he didn’t want to go naked, and paid the £23 (using the Wallet app on my phone: 08:51). The make of the teddy bear was Mumbles, according to a label on his back, so we decided to call him “Mr. Mumbles”.


Mr. Mumbles

Just then G— brought himself to our attention, for we hadn’t noticed that he was there; we weren’t expecting him till 9.15am.
 We left him and went back up to the room (08:53)….
 We left the room (09:01), wheeling suitcase and carrying other bags, via the lift, to the ground floor; we handed key cards over at reception, and left with G— to the minibus parked outside. We went home via the Humber Bridge and the A180; and after Janet had got out at home, and we’d taken the suitcase and other luggage indoors, G— and I went off to the hospital (to 11:00). He offered to take me home from there, but because I didn’t know when I’d be seen (my actual appointment wasn’t for another 52 minutes) I told him I’d be all right to go home by bus.…


[2026]


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]