John Edward Cooper’s Notes

HomeContentsAlphabetical listingWhom I’d like to meet in eternity…
 

our


Collins English Dictionary (Collins, London & Glasgow, 1983):
5. British dialect. belonging to the family of the speaker: it’s our Sandra’s birthday tomorrow.

New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary,
software edition, January 1997:
4 (Before a personal name) that has a familial relationship with me, esp. that is my son, daughter, or sibling; (before a surname etc.) that belongs to the same company, organization, etc., as me. colloq. M19.

This usage of “our”, to mean “belonging to my family”, is quite common in Lancashire, but is considered as somewhat quaint elsewhere.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]