John Edward Cooper’s Notes

HomeContentsAlphabetical listingWhom I’d like to meet in eternity…
 

Pamela’s ninth letter

1965, the year that changed my life
Trevor gets saved

Perhaps Thursday 1st July 1965
 Pam wrote her ninth letter to me on Wednesday, “30/6/65”, and posted it that evening, so I probably received it the next day.





69, Upper Chorlton Rd,
Whalley Range,  
Manchester 16.
30/6/65

Dear John,
 Thanks for your letter. Sorry to hear that you haven’t been too well.
 Thanks for the little sermon about the end of the world. No, seriously, it is wonderful to think what we will be saved from.
 We’ve had a letter from a man in India saying that he’s read Chris’s testimony
[1] in their newspaper. Don’t you think that’s great?
 Glad to hear your friend Trevor has been going to church with you. How’s Jones going on?
 The weather’s been gorgeous up to now, this week, but it’s not much good when you’re working. I’ve got to wait till Saturday for my day off this week.
 I’m sorry but I couldn’t help laughing at your middle name as you don’t look like an Edward at all, more like a Cuthbert. Ha, ha. Actually, mine’s Enid.

Well, I’ll close now, John. 
All my love, 
Pam. 
   x x x x x x x x x x

[1] Chris’s testimony: I seem to remember seeing a facsimile-copy of Chris’s testimony, handwritten, in a newspaper at the Williamses’s house around this time. This was not the later version, which Chris wrote in 1967 for the Barratt and Williams publication “Four Modern Miracles”, from which I quote in stories such as “Chris begins to suffer from fits”.
 As far as I recall, I lifted the words “we were alone in a strange city” in Johannine Writings III.8 from a testimony of Chris. Since they don’t appear in the 1967 version, I assume that they are from the 1965 one.

Pamela’s tenth letter


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]