John Edward Cooper’s Notes

HomeContentsAlphabetical listingWhom I’d like to meet in eternity…
 

Monday 29th August 1966

1966


               ?
Went Heysham on Bike
after rain had subsided.
Got wet coming back.
Came off my bike.

My visiting Audrey at her grandma’s at Heysham came about after Peter Gooding and I went camping on Friday 26th August 1966. Our intention was to go camping for a number of days, and Audrey, knowing this, decided to go to stay with her Mum’s parents in Heysham. But Peter and I changed our minds and came home the next day.

I was missing Audrey, so despite the threat of rain I cycled to Heysham to see her. She was surprised and pleased to see me. She looked lovely in a white T-shirt. I remember that I used to tell Mrs. Wood that her Mum made wonderful chips [french fries], so this may have been an (or the) occasion when I was given them. I was returning home along Skippool Road, and had just turned the corner where there is a high brick-wall to the left, when I came off my bike and landed with a thump on the rain-wet road. I think the accident was caused by my front wheel’s hitting an irregularity in the road, not by the slippery road surface. But I was not injured, and continued on my way, I think to my Grandma and Grandad Cooper’s where I was staying.

I came off my bike by the high brick wall shown in this photo — out of shot just off to the right. (Photo originally posted by Emma Butterworth on the Facebook group “Thornton Cleveleys Past”.)



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]